Thursday, June 19, 2008

Yummy new recipe!

I've been going through my old Cooking Light magazines and trying to pull out recipes I want to try in hopes of adding a few more things to our dinner rotation. I will say it is pretty hit and miss, but this Sesame Brown Rice Salad was really yummy, not to hard to make and the portion size was actually very filling!


Sesame Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
2 cups shredded chicken
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup peanuts
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp lime juice
4 tsp canola oil
1 tsp sesame oil
2 minced garlic cloves

1. Cook rice according to package directions.

2. Mix rice with chicken, carrot, onions, 2 tbsp peanuts, 2 tsp cilantro and salt.

3. Combine juice and remaining ingredients, drizzle over rice mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle each serving with peanuts and cilantro.

*my modifications - I used parsley instead of cilantro and I added a red pepper, thinly sliced. I would add more red pepper the next time, and maybe some cabbage, because I liked the extra crunch. Also, I used 2 big garlic cloves, next time I would definitely use less. And I poached the chicken in chicken broth with parsley and garlic powder mixed in and it was delicious and shredded well!

2 comments:

Rita said...

I finally got to bookmark your blog, so I will be checking

Rita said...

in frequently. I do know you have a lot going on, exciting news, lovely paper, and lots of crafts to see. Hurry up the summer going fast

Hugs to you M